Red Velvet Cake & Frosting Recipe
So last Christmas was my first time making this but my mom has made it this way for years so if you want an on point homemade red velvet cake follow this recipe.
So Boom the ingredients for both the cake and the frosting will be listed below
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/4 cup (two 1-oz bottles) red food coloring
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
Heat oven to 350. Mix together all ingredients with an electric mixer. Spray three 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick coating. Pour batter equally into the pan and bake for 20 minutes (check for doneness with a toothpick). Cool layers in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove layers from pans to racks to cool completely.
- 1/3 pound (1 1/3 sticks) butter, softened
- 10 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 1-pound box confectioners sugar
- 2 cips chopped pecans
Combine butter,cream cheese and confectioners sugar in a bowl. Beat until fluffy, the fold in 1 1/2 cups pecans. Then use to frost the cake.